Cloud computing has rated as most sought-after tech skill along with artificial intelligence and big data by LinkedIn. With ever-changing technology, demand for cloud engineers is increasing rapidly.
Premier technology companies such as IBM, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google are focusing heavily on cloud technology. Cloud is becoming a standard of data management and storage and has become a priority for multiple organizations. The Cloud computing field offers a variety of roles that are available in database management, development, security, and analysis.
As companies are transitioning into cloud services, cloud engineers s knowledge of all aspects of migration to cloud infrastructure. There are mainly three types of cloud services:
- Software as a Service (SaaS) is on-demand hosted services that provide access to business applications.
- Platform as a Service (PaaS) is web-based services and deployment of applications on the cloud.
- Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS) includes cloud solutions that offer storage.
Cloud computing has transformed business operations, and cloud engineers should possess business and technical skills.
General skills that you need to build a career in cloud computing include the following:
- Technical Skills: Knowledge of HTML and computing fundamentals
- Business Concepts: Cloud engineers should be aware of terminologies such as ROI, marketing strategies land business plan.
- Data Analysis: How to handle immense data and optimally use ERP systems.
- Data Security: Cloud computing also focuses on the security of data h, thus employers prefer applicants who have a working knowledge of network security.
- Project Management: Knowledge of risk management, service agreements, and integration with other processes is a essential.
Cloud computing certifications and credentials will help you differentiate in a highly competitive job market. Some of the certifications that are recognized globally:
- Amazon Web Services (AWS) certification
- IBM Certified Solution Architect
- Microsoft Azure Cloud Certification
- Google Cloud Associate and Professional Certifications
- Certified Cloud Security Professional
- CompTIA Cloud+
Cloud computing is a great industry to get into and has a scope of exponential growth. According to PayScale cloud engineers can earn an average salary of C$99,322 annually in the Toronto area.
7 Key Technical Skills for Cloud Engineers include:
- Database Skills: Invest in learning a database querying language and database platform. Learning languages like MySQL and Hadoop can be really helpful.
- Programming Skills: Proficiency in programming languages like Php, Java, .NET are essential. Traditional programming languages such as Python and Ruby are also in demand.
- Linux: Linux is an open-source operating system and can be used to build technologies without going through the hassles of permissions. Linux powers many apps and web pages used today. Cloud engineers who can architect, administer, and maintain Linux-based servers is increasing.
- Networking Skills: Network integration with cloud services is essential. Cloud networking fundamentals are a must in cloud computing. Knowledge of virtual networks and focus on making the process easier for end-users is necessary.
- Cloud Service Providers: To thrive in the cloud domain, an understanding offering of cloud service providers is essential. Familiarize with cloud services such as AWS, Microsoft Azure, OpenStack, and GCP.
- Web Services & APIs: Cloud architects work on the foundation of APIs and web services. Open web services such as XML, SOAP, UDDI, and WSDI are used to tag, transfer, and describe data. APIs complete and deploy the integration on the respective platforms.
- Information Security: Organizations are placing more emphasis on protecting data and applications. Tracking the current security state and adopting preventive measures are important in cloud computing. Learning cybersecurity and earning a credential will give you an edge.
Cloud computing is a versatile domain, and gaining an in-depth understanding of the skills mentioned above will help you become a successful cloud engineer.
Cloud Engineer diploma at BizTech College you will gain an understanding of essential concepts of cloud computing. Also, an opportunity to earn certifications such as AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate. You will also obtain industry certifications in networking, such as MCSA and MCSE.