Personal Support Worker
26 Weeks (630 Hours)
Personal Support Workers wake up every day with the desire to make a positive impact on the lives of others. PSWs play a vital role in the healthcare system, creating a direct, meaningful impact on the lives of patients.
Upon successful completion of BizTech College’s Personal Support Worker course, you will have gained the knowledge and skills required to confidently assist clients and patients with tasks of daily living.
As a Personal Support worker, you will be working in a wide range of environments. BizTech College’s PSW program prepares you with the right combination of classroom, lab and clinical work experience, will help you thrive in the profession.
Industry Experienced Faculty
Unique Clinical Readiness Program
100% Clinical Placements
First Aid & CPR Certifications
Personal Support Worker Diploma Program at BizTech College
Our Personal Support Worker training will help you gain in-depth knowledge and competitive skill-set in the following areas:
- Interpersonal skills, clear communication and effective relationship management
- Promotion of client independence, mobility and safety
- Administration of medications
- Ability to multi-task, organize as well as prioritize tasks
- Identification of the effects of ageing, disabilities, disease and special needs.
- Responding to cognitive impairments and conditions
- Recognize signs of abuse
- Provide professional assistance to families and the role of respite
- Provide end of life/hospice supports
- Assisting someone with personal hygiene
- First Aid and CPR
Clinical placement is a critical part of your diploma program. Our partnerships with local clinics, hospitals and Lon-Term care facilities provide you with the opportunity to work in a fast-paced, urban environment.
BizTech College has designed a unique clinical readiness program that prepares students with a strong skill-set centered on patient care. Focus on soft skills enables our students to perform well during clinical placements.
Our modernized labs train students for versatile skills for success in a variety of work setting. You get hands-on training to administer bedside and personal care to clients. How to plan and prepare meals and special diets, and perform routine health-related duties such as changing non-sterile dressings, administering medications and collecting specimens.
BizTech College offers unique healthcare programs such as Cardiovascular Sonography Technologist, Diagnostic Medical Sonography and Medical Lab Technician, which means you will be learning in a vibrant environment.
Students looking to enroll in our Medical Office Administration program must first meet the following prerequisites:
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma or equivalent OR
- Mature Student Status (18 years of age or older) AND
- Successful completion of Entry Assessment Test
Additionally, students need to have the following before the start of the program:
- Clean criminal record and vulnerable sector screening checks
- Immunization record as per the program requirement
A Promising Start in Healthcare in Ontario!
With the Ontario Government investing more in quality and value-based care for its senior citizens, the demand for personal support workers is rapidly increasing.
Our personal support worker course focuses on job-readiness and opens up a path to work as a certified professional in the following places:
- Nursing Homes
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Extended Care Management
- Support Houses for Young Adults
- Private Residences
According to Job Bank Canada,
- Personal Support Worker – Home Support usually earns between $12.50/hour and $24.40/hour in Canada. The average wage in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is $18.00/hour.
- Personal Support Aide – Medical usually earns between $14.50/hour and $26.00/hour in Canada. The average wage in the Greater Toronto Area (GTA) is $20.27/hour.
For detailed trend analysis, salaries and future prospects visit the Government of Canada Job Bank.
Qualities Employers Seek
Employers look for some specific qualities in candidates. Honestly, trust and compassion are essential to be successful in my chosen career. Some of the other prominent qualities as per job requirements may include:
- Medical Knowledge
- Communication Skills
- Inter-personal skills
- Time Management
“Classes are small, so I was able to get one on one attention, I feel confident and well prepared to work as a personal support worker”
“I am really grateful to the teachers at Biztech College, not only during the course but even after completion, we get the required professional support”
“I am impressed with the programs and how management helps students to achieve both personal and professional goals”
Tuition Free PSW Course in Ontario: Are you Eligible?
Is The PSW Course Really Free In Ontario? ...
What Can a Career as a Personal Support Worker Do for Me?
Devoting your day to helping others with their daily tasks and providing assistance in whatever...
10 Traits of an Outstanding Personal Support Worker (PSW)
The role of a Personal Support Worker (PSW) can be a challenging yet fulfilling career choice. The...