The urgency of cyber security in organizations has led to an unprecedented rise in demand for professionals with relevant skills. On the front line of information security and data protection, professionals have a responsibility to keep organizations safe digitally.
The information technology landscape is evolving rapidly. Whilst technical capabilities can be learned with regular education, it is important that more emphasis is laid on the cognitive abilities. Thus, employers now also look for interpersonal skills that make a candidate an adequate cyber security professional.
Important traits you’ll need to become a successful cyber security professional.
To help you understand what exactly the hiring manager seek in an applicant in regards to soft skills, we have compiled a list of 5 qualities that a hiring manager and experts seek in IT professionals.
- Strong Ethical Standards: To deal with challenges, hacking is a skill that professionals need to learn. Anyone who have tendency to involve in illegal hacking is threat to the organization. As a cyber security professional, one needs to have strong ethical work standards. You will be acting as a gatekeeper to sensitive information and have to be 100% ethical in all current and future dealings.
- Effective Communication Skills: The ability to communicate with management, team, and clients is essential. Listening skill is essential, understanding the requirements and providing optimum solutions is a highly valued trait. As a cyber security professional, you will be presenting; thus, excellent presentation skills and the ability to vocalize your ideas effectively will give you an edge.
- Creative Problem Solving: As mentioned earlier, cyber security professional is on the front line against cyber threats. Creative problem – solving skills come handy in this profession; you literally have to think like hackers and find solutions to any way they can attack sensitive information. Your thinking process should be innovative, which leads to improvements in overall information security systems.
- Attention to Details: Employers need employees who can make their work high priority, be vigilant, and foresee potential threats. Cyber security is growing and expanding; thus, professionals need an eye for critical risks and the ability to tackle any vulnerabilities head-on.
- Passion for Continuous Learning: Cyber security courses can teach you the fundamentals and provide necessary industry certifications needed in the field. However, you need to keep updating with changing trends and the latest technologies in the area. It is a field where you can never know it all; fundamental skills are essential, but the passion for learning new things is a must.
Interpersonal skills and professionalism are important in cyber security, just like any other profession. But a combination of right technical skills and soft skills will help you grow in a corporate environment.
Get Started Today!
BizTech College offers a 52 Weeks comprehensive diploma program that offers hands-on training and theoretical knowledge needed to pursue a variety of computer security certifications. Relevant training with the industry’s latest software and techniques launches you into your career, ahead of the curve.
Apart from Industry certifications such as Cisco Cyber Security Fundamental, Cisco – SECOPS, CCNA Security, our graduates are trained in required interpersonal skills throughout the program. Uniquely designed career services ensure you are well prepared through project work, mock interviews and individual assessments.
Read more about our Networking and Cybersecurity Diploma Program.