Networking and cyber security professionals have a wide range of responsibilities and roles. As the company’s first line of defense, cyber security specialists are in demand from medium to large corporations and in government departments.
In order to be a successful networking and cyber security professionals you would need the following attributes:
- Analytical Thinking: One should possess a capacity to assess problems and think out-of-the-box. Must be able to evaluate and curate an effective strategy to defend data from external threats.
- Think like a Hacker: To handle the hackers, you need to think like one. You should have the ability to channel the thought process like the attacker. Identify weaknesses in an organization’s system and network defenses and take preventive measures.
- Continuous Learner: You need to be a proactive learner. You should be able to keep up with the rapidly changing cyber landscape and offer innovative solutions. Be up to date with the latest changes in the industry. Be ready to take on new certifications as per industry requirements.
- Communication Skills: You should possess apt communication skills and confidence to ask support and answer questions across all areas of the business, from CEO and board-level executives to end-users alike.
Technology professionals are involved in day to day operation more than ever. Thus, it is important to stay aligned with business goals.
As a networking and cyber security professional, you may be responsible for carrying out some, or all, of the following duties:
- Installation, configuration, and maintenance of PCs, networking equipment and network operating systems.
- Secures an information technology infrastructure that provides reliable, measurable, consistent, responsive and secure enterprise network services.
- Concentrates on the network design and security, particularly troubleshooting and/or debugging network-related problems.
- Deters and prevents cyber-crime that plagues corporations and government agencies; identity and data theft, hacking, and invasion of privacy.
- Guards vital information systems vigilantly to fight cyber-crime.
- Handles web and network security exploits, intrusion prevention, network traffic analysis, cryptography, and encryption.
- Maintenance of the network’s authorization infrastructure, as well as network backup systems.
- Routing protocols and routing table configuration assignment.
- Configuration of authentication, authorization and directory services.
- Maintenance of network facilities in individual machines, such as drivers and settings of personal computers as well as printers, etc. and servers.