“Accounting is the new language of business”- rightly said by Warren Buffet. In order for a business to say productive, effective and profitable, they need good accountants. Small, medium or multinational enterprises, no matter what structure it is, financial strength is crucial. You don’t have to be a math genius to enroll, interest is what matters.
Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping and Payroll Administration
Preparing you for a Versatile Career in Accounting, Payroll and Bookkeeping
Get Ready for In-demand Career in Accounting and Payroll Administration
BizTech College’s Professional Accounting, Bookkeeping and Payroll Administration program is designed to facilitate students with versatile skill-set. You will receive hands-on training and free subscription to Accounting & Payroll Administration latest software such as Sage and QuickBooks. Our expert faculty also prepares you for professional certifications such as Certified Payroll Manager (CPM) and Payroll Compliance Practitioner (PCP).
- Prepare yourself for a multidimensional career in accounting, payroll administration and bookkeeping.
- Equip yourself with hands-on training in latest technologies and professional certifications for varied career opportunities.
- Learn Canadian payroll, taxation, office tools and business communications from subject-matter experts.
BizTech College’s diploma in professional accounting, bookkeeping and payroll administration prepares you to meet the job demand in Canada. Accounting and payroll administration professionals can work in varied sectors such as finance, banking, insurance, retail, technical services, trade, transportation and warehousing. It is estimated, 68,200 new jobs will open up nationwide through 2024. Additionally, a certification in bookkeeping and payroll will help you be self-employed.
The median salary for accounting and payroll administrators in Ontario is $39, 000. With experience and depending on the organization size one can earn up to $51, 000 per year. Employers require trained graduates to effectively collect, record, organize and prepare financial records. With successful completion of our program you will be able to get employment in a variety of roles. Some of the common roles include:
- Accounting Clerk
- Accounting Assistant
- Accounts payable and receivable clerk
- Accounts analyst
- Tax Clerk
- Budget Clerk
- Payroll Officer
- Payroll administrator
Source: Job Bank Canada
Candidates with diploma in professional accounting, bookkeeping and payroll administration enjoy more career opportunities, more money and may choose the path of self-employment. Some of the skills that employers seek include:
- Compliance: The key responsibility of accounting and payroll administrators requires to ensure the services abides by the compliance requirements. Closely interlinked to tax and legal regulations, it is crucial for candidate to have in-depth understanding of regulations in the country.
- Numeracy Skills: Accounting professionals have to deal with numerical data and complex calculations frequently. Aptitude for math and accountancy are important traits for candidates.
- Industry Software: Proficiency with industry software is must. Office software such as Microsoft excel, know-how of dedicated software such as QuickBooks and Sage is useful. As these software are frequently update, one has to stay tuned with latest developments.
- Problem Solving: Employers look for quick learners, detail oriented and individuals with excellent problem-solving skills. Given that you will be working with numbers, you would have to deal with miscalculations, tax irregularities and compliance issues. Creative thinking is part of the profile.
- Effective Communication Skills: It is a common myth that accounting is introverted and dull job. But, payroll administrators have to interact with individuals at every level of organizations. Administrators have to communicate effectively and confidently about any changes that effect system. Customer service skills will be add on to the resume.
- Discretion and Dependability: Accounting clerks, payroll administrators and bookkeeping professionals deal with personal data. Any leak or miscommunication will impact business and clients negatively. Understanding of security and privacy protocols is must. Discretion towards organization and clients is critical.
Apart from these essential skills, flexibility, administrative skills, ability to plan and prioritize is important.
Duties & Responsibilities:
As an accounting, payroll administrator and bookkeeper you will be responsible for:
- Keeping financial records, prepare and maintain balance and books.
- Documents such as bills, invoices, inventory reports, account statements using industry standard software.
- Compiling budget data, estimated revenues and expenses. Also, preparing period or cost reports.
- Performing related clerical duties; such as word processing, maintain files and record systems.
- Maintain and establish employee records; authorization and adherence including compliance with federal/state/local regulations.
- Setup each employee, adherence to FLSA; monitor submissions of approved timesheets, ensure valid data transfers to/from payroll service.
- Coordination efforts between payroll, human resources, budget and other departments.
- Posting daily journal entries into the ledgers, recording revenues and expenses.
- Preparing cheques for payrolls, tax returns and other bills.
- Calculating end-of-year accounts and reporting based on these accounts.
At BizTech College, you will receive theoretical knowledge in principles of accounting, Canadian taxation, payroll legislation and compliance. Practical training on Industry standard latest software Sage and QuickBooks. Additionally, this program prepares you for Accounting and Payroll administration certifications – CPA and PCP.
You will be eligible to join the Canadian Payroll Association; which add on to your qualifications and increases job opportunities.
Learning Outcomes of our Accounting, Bookkeeping and Payroll Administration course:
- Strong Skill-set: You will gain a strong aptitude and eye for details to keep accurate, clear financial records.
- Certified: Our program prepares you for industry certifications. Expertise you gain in income tax standards will help gain upper hand professionally.
- Professional Persona: Apart from technical know-how, we focus on effective communication and inter-personal skills.
Additionally, you will gain in-depth knowledge in following areas:
- Microsoft Excel and Word curriculum designed to validate and based on Microsoft IT Certifications.
- Strong and applied understanding of fundamental accounting throughout the accounting cycle.
- Practical learning with QuickBooks software for financial assessments and predictions.
- Advanced accounting concepts such as inventory, capital expenses and payroll using latest Sage software.
- Creation and maintenance of secure latest Sage ERP databases for bank reconciliations and tax reporting.
- Understanding provincial requirements for payroll legislation and its application under various Acts.
- The nature and structure of the Canadian Income Tax Act with emphasis on the personal and small business aspects.
- Effective strategies and tools, for successfully applying communication and strategic skills to achieve set goals.
- Use of cloud-based systems for versatile technical settings.
Free Subscription to Accounting Software:
BizTech College students receive a one-year no-cost subscription to QuickBooks and latest Sage accounting software for your personal computer allow you to master course materials and core accounting principles.
Students looking to enroll in our Professional Accounting program must first meet the following pre-requisites:
- Ontario High school diploma or equivalent OR
- Mature student status (18 years old and over)
- Successful completion of the Wonderlic test